2008-1947 = 61 years of political independence for India and how much we have progressed in these years?? Let's do a quick check and enumerate the things India accomplished during these years:
- India became an independent country in 1947 and it's constitution came into force on 26th January 1950. Thus India became republic and also the BIGGEST DEMOCRACY in the world, which in fact was an audacious move.
- India is the second most culturally, linguistically and genetically diverse geographical entity after the African continent and sustaining 61 years of such diversity itself is a monumental achievement.
- Although being a young country India was the co-founder of Non-Alignment Movement and maintained friendly relations with both USA and USSR during the cold war.
- During this period India has fought four wars against Pakistan (feel very sorry for that) and one against China.
- Indira Gandhi became the prime minister in 1960s and 1970s the first female to do so in India and USA is still hopeful for their Mrs. President.
- India demonstrated it's scientific and technological might by conducting Nuclear tests in 1974 and also around this time Green revolution and operation flood made India self reliant in food and grains.
- Also India was one of the very few countries to possess satellites and plan for space programs.
- Then came in the era(1990-91) of economic reforms the benefits of which we are still reaping. India was benefited by the emergence of IT and Software based industries.
- The 21st century saw the emergence of India as an economic giant with GDP growing at around 8%.
"Freedom is never dear at any price. It is the breath of life. What would a man not pay for living?" Mohandas Gandhi.
My next post will be "My vision for India...." an assignment we have for economics.